- Visits will be scheduled by the visitor one week in advance by telephone. Visits are by appointment only and the visitor must report to the front door thirty (30) minutes prior to the scheduled visiting time. Any person requesting visitation privileges that has served time at SCI as an inmate or worked for the DOC as an officer or any other service contractor may be denied entry to the institution for the purpose of visiting. Each case is subject to review by the Warden. The inmate being visited is responsible for confirming his scheduled visiting time with their visitor. NOTE: Once a visit is scheduled it will not be changed.
- Inmates will be permitted three (3) visitors at each visit. Visitors under the age of eighteen (18) must be accompanied by a parent, legal guardian, or an adult twenty-one (21) years of age or older. All visitors are subject to a metal detector and pat down search along with an x-ray scan at the time of each visit. At times a K-9 drug scan will be conducted. When deemed necessary, the security staff may request a more intense physical search. Should the visitor refuse to comply, they will be denied entrance and ordered off of the property.
- There are two types of visits available: Open visits are relaxed and informal, physical contact is possible. Closed visits are formal, for security reasons, and physical contact is not allowed. The institution determines which type of visits inmates may have.
- Any visitor carrying an infant into the visiting room will be permitted to carry one (1) diaper, one (1) bottle, wipes in a clear plastic baggie, and one (1) pacifier for the infant.
- Only the following items are allowed into the institution: photo identification, including DMV vehicle IDs, passports, government issued IDs; two car keys; wedding band/engagement ring; medical alert necklace/bracelet; and life-saving medication.NOTE: If an item is not on this list, it will not be allowed in.
- Visitor's attire should be in good taste and grooming when entering the institution. Correctional staff will determine whether visitor's clothing is appropriate based on the following guidelines: bathing suits; body suits; strapless or low cut, revealing tops; sleeveless shirts; tube tops; and any type of revealing clothing not adhering to the normal standards of decency, including bare mid-drifts, will not be permitted. Dresses, skirts, culottes, and/or walking shorts must be no shorter than two (2) inches above the knee, as measured from the bend in the back of the knee with the waistband in the normal position. Spandex pants, shorts, and leggings are not permitted alone. Leggings may be worn under a skirt. Any see-through material is not permitted. Money orders (only) for the inmates must be placed in the green mailbox at the front door or mailed. No cash or personal checks are accepted through the mail. The inmate's identification number (SBI number) and Name and Purchaser's Name and Address must be on the money order.
- Talking to any inmate through institution windows or fences, or having conversations with any inmate other than in the assigned visiting area is strictly prohibited. Visitors must go directly to and from the visiting room/waiting area.
- Smoking is not permitted by visitors on the property including in vehicles located in the SCI parking lot.
- All visitors will place hats, gloves, belts, coats, jackets, shoes, IDs, keys and any other carried items in the designated container to be sent through the x-ray machine.
- The visitor and inmate will sit in a place designated by the Visiting Room Officer. No change in location is permitted. Meeting outside is not permitted.
- The inmate may briefly embrace and kiss his visitor(s) at the beginning and end of the visit. They will then be seated. If the visitor is alone (single visitor), they are required to sit across the table. The holding of hands is permissible so long as the hands are kept on top of the table and near the center at all times. Any actions or gestures beyond the established policy will necessitate disciplinary action for the inmate and/or loss of visitation privileges for the visitor.
- No property may be exchanged between an inmate and his visitor(s). All cards, letters, etc., must be sent through the mail.
- Only one (1) inmate may be visited at a time. Cross conversation between other visitors and/or inmates is not permitted.
- Visitors are not permitted to leave the Visiting Room during a visit except for an emergency or illness, and they may not return to the visit.
- Visitors and inmates alike should show respect for others visiting and keep all conversations in a low tone. Loud conversations, foul language, arguments, or fighting will result in cancellation of the visit and disciplinary action for the inmate. We reserve the right to turn away any visitor due to intoxication, failing to obey the direction of officers, or generally misbehaving. This is to include control of the behavior of all minor children on the grounds of SCI by their accompanying parent or guardian. Any violation of this may result in suspension and/or termination of visiting privileges.
- Special visits are limited to those who meet the following criteria:
- First, special visits will be given to those who have a truly special need, such as the death of a family member or a sick relative which must be substantiated by letter or phone call by the person who wants to visit.
- Second, if a visitor has traveled 150 miles or more, they may be eligible for a special visit.
- This special visit will only be permitted every six (6) months; unless a serious emergency arises that can be substantiated with documentation.
- Sentenced inmates on the compound are granted one and a half (1 ½) hours visiting time a week. This is used in one (1) visit or broken into two (2) forty-five (45) minute visits.
- Inmates housed in Pre-Trial are granted one (1) forty-five (45) minute visit per week.
- NOTE: Inmates and Visitors may lose visiting privileges for violation of institutional rules.
Public transportation to and from SCI is available via the DART bus which has a bus stop (route 206) on SCI grounds near the facility entrance.
Visitors can call to make an appointment at (302) 856-5545 Monday thru Saturday Sundays
9:00 am to 3:00 pm
4:30 pm to 11:00 pm
9:00 am to 3:00 pm
Monday thru Saturday