Howard R. Young Correctional Institution
Brian Emig, Warden
Natasha Hollingsworth, Deputy Warden
The original facility, now called the West Wing, was designed to hold 360 detainees, individuals who are awaiting trial/sentencing or unable to make bail. In 1992, a new section, the East Wing, opened. This construction project added 480 beds for sentenced offenders. Additional construction projects have increased the capacity to 1,180. The facility now averages 1,500 offenders.
- Processes approximately 60% of all admissions in the Delaware Correctional system and houses the majority of the detainee population.
- HRYCI also offers the Road to Recovery (R2R) treatment program. The Road to Recovery retains the Therapeutic Community model, an industry best practice which has proven to be effective.
Supports a very active and responsive community outreach program, working with families, schools, churches, community and charitable groups. The community outreach program provides services and gifts including but not limited to food, clothing, school supplies, monetary donations, and school presentations. The mission of the Howard R. Young Correctional Institution Community Outreach Program is:
- To serve as a responsible and committed member of the Wilmington Community
- To protect the community by faithfully performing our duties
- To share our time and ourselves with those in need of assistance
- To set a positive example for the people we interact with
- To show respect for all people